Basic Skills : Circle Cutting
- Main page
- Result and Statistics
Categories: Basic Skills
Courses: FLS BESTA
The "Circle Cutting" is the task Nr. 4 of the BESTA program (Basic Endosurgical Simulation Training and Accreditation). Trainee needs to cut out a circle between to marked lines.
- Acquire skill of scissors precise cutting in different directions and angles.
- Usage of the designated rotation wheel for instrument rotation.
- Visual-spatial orientation, fulcrum effect compensation, coordinated movements of both instruments, ergonomic body and hands position.
Equipment: Grasping forceps 5 mm, Metzenbaum curved scissors 5 mm, training gauze with 2 circle marks, jumbo clip for fixation of the training gauze.
Setup: Place the training gauze into jumbo clip and arrange so it will be seen in the upper part of the screen (see picture).
Aim: cut off a circle on the training gauze between 2 round marking lines.
Description: grasp the lower edge of the gauze by forceps and cut it with the Metzenbaum scissors into the field between two markings. Cut off the circle. The cutting path should not contact the marking lines except of the enter point. After cut is completed place the circle aside, so the result can be recorded on video as well. If the traction of the gauze by instrument was that strong, that it caused detachment from the clip the task is terminated.
Proficiency: The task should be practiced until it can be performed in 118 seconds with all cuts made within the section between the two lines of the training gauze; this level of performance should be demonstrated on 2 consecutive attempts or for a maximum of 80 repetitions. If a trainee cannot achieve this level of performance after 80 repetitions of the task, that trainee should proceed to the next task.
Start: First contact of instrument with the training gauze
Finish: The circle being completely cut out from the gauze
- Time limit (sec): 180
- Target time (sec): 118
- Precision tolerance: 80%
- Passing score: 100
- Path: left and right instruments
- Scissors used: by right and left hands
- Ambidexterity, %: 40-60
- Speed: overage left and right; maximal left and right instruments
- Non-ergonomic position of the trainee, leading to back or hands strain.
- Low usage of rotating wheel of both grasper and scissors.
- Cut through the marks or contact the marks (cut deviation).
- 1 % of Deviation = 1 penalty point.
Failures (task aborted)
- Wrong consequence of the moving from cell to cell.
- Gauze slipped out of the clip due to strong traction by grasper.
p.score = 218 – t in sec – 5*touching – 10*intersection Task with 1 marking: p.score = 218 – t in sec – % Deviation
Copyrights (с) 2015-2018, BESTA.guru
Time limit (sec): 300 Time target (sec): 118 Number of points: 100 Ambidexterity, %: 60 Evaluated parameters: Time, Precision, Path left and right, Max speed left and right, Overage speed left and right Formula: p.score = 218 – t in sec – % Deviation
Compare with you:
X Date Attempt
Path, mm Av.Speed, mm/sec Max.Speed, mm/sec
Target values: 100 118 60 - - - - - -